The Starling Collective offers coaching and shared learning plus microgrants to support leadership development and catalyze generosity
GivingTuesday, the global generosity movement, announced the opening of applications for the 2022 cohort of the Starling Collective, a virtual learning lab and innovative fellowship designed to support creative and passionate grassroots changemakers working to accelerate innovative approaches to catalyzing generosity, empathy, equity, and justice. The program offers community building, movement learning, peer support, and connection to GivingTuesday’s global network of movement leaders. Applications are open July 19 through September 1, 2022.
Applicants selected for the 2022 Starling Collective fellowship will each receive a microgrant of $2,000 USD to support leadership development or accelerate on-the-ground work. Participants will also have the opportunity to pitch their idea or initiative for a chance to receive additional funding at the end of the program. Selected participants will be announced in early October.
Since our inaugural cohort in 2020, 109 grassroots organizers, activists, artists, and changemakers representing 60 countries, speaking 40 languages, and ranging in age from 11 to 71 have participated in the fellowship. These leaders created extraordinary impact through efforts that included creating new systems to combat food insecurity in Brazil, using art to fight racial injustice in the U.S. and raise awareness for disability rights in South Africa, engaging youth in philanthropy in Hong Kong, using technology to increase blood donations in Kenya, promoting a global campaign to end child labor, and organizing mutual aid networks and community care around the world.
“Injustices in the world are overwhelming and can rob us of our belief that change is possible, especially in times of ongoing crisis. But every day in communities across the globe, there are leaders responding to local needs and challenges with generosity, kindness, and resourcefulness, and they remind us of the transformative power of community-based and led care and support,” said Asha Curran, GivingTuesday CEO. “The Starling Collective fellows are determined and creative leaders committed to creating change in their communities, and it’s thrilling to see them collaborate, learn together, and offer each other support as they continue growing their projects and their impact.”
The Starling Collective is a collaborative and supportive community of diverse grassroots changemakers. Davi Cabeça, a Starling fellow from the 2021 cohort, is working to help change the reality for transgender people in Sao Paulo, Brazil, using a social media campaign to “give [his] community a collective virtual hug and provide a space for trans people to dream.” Davi says that Starling Collective experience helped him develop the confidence to “think even bigger.”
GivingTuesday’s Starling Collective Regional Directors review and select applicants and also serve as mentors and coaches to participants. They include:
- Catherine Mwendwa, GivingTuesday Africa Hub Director, serves as the Regional Director for Africa
- Charlotte Arnø Storebakken, Change Project Manager for Norges Innsamlingsråd to Educational Program Manager at Fundraising Norway and GivingTuesday Norway country leader, serves as the Regional Director for Europe
- Cherisse Faith Beh, GivingTuesday Director of Global Learning and Engagement, serves as the Regional Director for Asia
- Esteban Oyarzo, former organizer of #UnDiaParaDar regional movement, serves as the Regional Director for Mexico, Central and South America
- João Paulo Vergueiro, CEO for the Brazilian Fundraisers Association (ABCR) and GivingTuesday Brazil country leader, serves as the Regional Director for Brazil
- ZJ Jallah, Operations & Partnerships Manager for YesLiberia! and GivingTuesday Liberia country leader, serves as the Regional Director for Canada and the United States
Learn more about the program and apply before September 1, 2022.