#GivingTuesday was a major force in 2015, with almost 700,000 donors giving a wide range of nonprofits and acting across 25 donation platforms, all coming together to raise over $116 million dollars online for charitable causes. We collected data from donation platforms and surveyed 156 participating nonprofits to take a peek under the hood at the story of #GivingTuesday 2015.
This report is the result of our analysis, which breaks into three sections. The first section looks at what kinds of organizations participate #GivingTuesday. The second section takes a look at who donated. Lastly we look at how to improve and make #GivingTuesday even more impactful in 2016.
To get a sense of the impact of #GivingTuesday, here’s a snapshot of our topline data:
- $116.7 Million Total Dollars Raised Online
- 1.08 Million Total Gifts
- $107.47 Mean Gift Size
- 698,961 Total Donors
- 25 donation platforms
Several other insights emerged from our analysis:
- #GivingTuesday is still nascent, but is expected to grow. More than half (52%) of organizations surveyed participated for the first time in 2015, but an overwhelming majority (97%) plan to participate again, and most (67%) would recommend #GivingTuesday to a colleague.
- Almost 2/3 (62%) of organizations set fundraising goals but only 45% of organizations set non-financial goals (i.e. to raise awareness, attract volunteers). We also found that most organizations spent less than one month preparing for #GivingTuesday, and most frequently cited “preparing earlier” as the factor they would change in the future. Accordingly, in the future, organizations should set distinct and specific financial and nonfinancial goals for #GivingTuesday, and start preparing earlier.
- Survey respondents valued and appreciated the #GivingTuesday media kit, and asked for that to be available again. However, many asked for additional resources targeted specifically at smaller organizations, with $1-5 million organizational budgets.
- In 2015, 700,000 donors gave a total of $116 million dollars online to charitable causes participating in #GivingTuesday
One thing to note is that because we collected voluntary survey data from 156 nonprofits and intermediaries, we do get a sense of the organizations and donors who participated in #GivingTuesday, but is not the whole picture. This is simply a view into some of the success stories of #GivingTuesday
Read the full report below.