Share your story and you could win a grant of up to $10,000 for your favorite nonprofit organization!
#MyGivingStory is a social media storytelling contest created to foster a public conversation about giving and to inspire more people to give. From now through the end of November, we encourage you to share stories about how and why you give to the causes you care about. We will be handing out a number of prizes throughout the month, with the winning story writers receiving grants up to $10,000 to give to their favorite nonprofit organization!
It's easy to enter. Just submit your story here and follow these three steps to start gathering votes:
- Write or record your #MyGivingStory: Think of a story or experience that inspired you to give, choose which format you will use to tell your story (written essay or video), and write or record your story.
- Post your story: Go to our contest page and click on “Submit Here.” Select the nonprofit that would receive a grant if your story wins and upload your story.
- Share your story on social media! The more votes you get, the better your chances of winning one of our prizes! Direct people to vote in the online gallery. The 30 stories with the most votes will become the Finalists.
And remember to share with your network and community! Use this toolkit to email your team members, volunteers, donors, and supporters and ask them to share their stories. The more stories, the more awareness and the better chances of your nonprofit receiving a grant award!
Some additional tips and requirements:
- Download our toolkit for tips on sharing your story.
- #MyGivingStory is open to legal residents of the U.S., who are age 13 and older.
- Written entries must be between 150 and 1,200 words and may include a photo.
- Videos must be between 30 seconds and 5 minutes in length and under 100 MB in one of the following formats: AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4, MPEG, FLV, 3GP, and 3G2.
- All entries must be original, unpublished works.
- Only one entry per entrant.
There's no time like the present! Submit your story today and share so we can help celebrate how and why you give back!
Prizes range from T-shirts to $10,000 grants for your chosen non-profit organization:
The top 30 stories (15 written + 15 videos) that receive the most votes in the online gallery during the month of November will be sent to a panel of judges who will award prizes:
- Two 1st-Place Winners: $10,000 for your chosen non-profit organization
- Two 2nd-Place Winners: $5,000 for your chosen non-profit organization
- Two 3rd-Place Winners: $2,500 for your chosen non-profit organization
Other prizes include:
- Sweepstakes: $500 grants for your chosen non-profit organization will be awarded 2x each week throughout November to a randomly selected submission.
- Mi Cuento de Dar Prizes (Excellence in Spanish): 2 winners: $1,500 your chosen non-profit organization
- Most Popular Non-Profit Awards (4 Winners): $2,000 to each of the four non-profit organizations “chosen” the most often (entrants will be asked on the submission form which non-profit you would choose if you win)
- 30 Days of November: Each day, one submission will be randomly selected to win a #GivingTuesday T-shirt.
- Recruit-A-Friend: Recruit 3 other people (friends, family, colleagues) to submit their giving story and we will highlight your story on #GivingTuesday social media channels.
Reminder - video submissions are also accepted! Watch this video for an example of a #MyGivingStory video submission and share yours today!
You can also read last year's winning stories here.