2018 #MyGivingStory Contest - Contest is closed!
Find the winners of the 2018 MyGivingStory Contest here.
Every Act of Giving Has a Story. What’s Yours?
Share your story and you could win a grant of up to $10,000 for your favorite nonprofit organization!
#MyGivingStory is an annual campaign and social media storytelling contest held each November in conjunction with #GivingTuesday that fosters a public conversation about generosity and encourages more people to give.
Individuals submit an essay or video responding to the prompt, “Every act of giving has a story. What’s yours?” Entrants are encouraged to share their stories—which are displayed in gallery format on a customized website—via social media.
The public is invited to engage with these stories by voting for those they find most compelling. A panel of judges reviews the top 20 stories and determines the winners, who are announced on #GivingTuesday’s social media feeds and website.
The winning storytellers’ chosen nonprofit organizations receive grants up to $10,000. Additional prizes and daily sweepstakes offer more chances to win.
#MyGivingStory is a great way to call attention to a cause that is near and dear to your heart. Last November alone, the contest garnered more than 2.5 million views!
Participating in #MyGivingStory is as easy as 1-2-3…
- Tell us why you give! Submit a 150-1200 word essay (with a photo if possible) or a video (no more than 5 minutes) between November 1st and November 30th.
- Tell us which nonprofit organization will receive a grant up to $10,000 if you win. (Make sure to tell the organization as well so that they can help you get votes.)
- Share your story via social media and encourage anyone and everyone you know to vote as often as possible (ideally once a day) throughout the contest period.
Some additional tips and requirements:
- Download our toolkit and check out the FAQ for tips on crafting and sharing your story.
- Check out previous winners to help you get inspired.
- #MyGivingStory is open to legal residents of the U.S., who are age 13 and older.
- Written entries must be between 150 and 1,200 words and should ideally include a photo.
- Videos must be between 30 seconds and 5 minutes in length and under 100 MB in one of the following formats: AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4, MPEG, FLV, 3GP, and 3G2.
- All entries must be original, unpublished works.
- Only one entry per entrant.
Las participaciones para #MyGiving Story pueden escribirse en español o inglés! Para encontrar la información en español, pulse aquí y use el menú de opciones en la esquina superior derecha.
Prizes range from tote bags to a $10,000 grant for your chosen nonprofit organization
The 20 stories garnering the most votes will be forwarded to our judging panel, who will select the winners.
- First Place: $10,000 for your chosen nonprofit organization
- Second Place: $5,000 for your chosen nonprofit organization
- Third Place: $2,500 for your chosen nonprofit organization
Other prizes include:
- Yo Dono Porque: $2,500 for your chosen nonprofit organization to 2 outstanding Spanish-language stories
- Honorable Mention: $1,000 for your chosen nonprofit organization to 3 outstanding storytellers
- Most Nominated: $2,000 to the 5 nonprofit organizations that receive the most nominations from story submitters
- Sweepstakes: $500 to your chosen nonprofit organization for two stories chosen at random each week
- Swag Giveaways: Each day in November, we'll choose a story at random and send you a custom #GivingTuesday gift