The founder of #GivingTuesday, 92nd Street Y, is adding something new to its Giving Tuesday activities in 2016 -- planned giving.
Donors will be encouraged to support 92Y both now and in the future by considering new ways of giving and assets they might give. A Giving Smart on Giving Tuesday seminar will be held on site at 92Y in New York on November 29th, and the concept will be promoted via email and print to selected constituencies.
The 92Y team has also created a Planned Giving Toolkit which is now available to all #GivingTuesday partners (download here).
Here are some key takeaways to adding planned giving to your #GivingTuesday activities:
- Emphasize that planned gifts can be small as well as large.
- Keep it simple by highlighting such revocable arrangements as gifts in wills, beneficiary designations and transfer on death accounts.
- Don’t get in over your head. Only promote ways of giving that you are comfortable discussing.
- If you have a planned giving website, use #GivingTuesday to drive traffic to it.
- If you offer the charitable gift annuity, promote it on #GivingTuesday as a way to help the future of your organization that can have big benefits for the donor.
- Consider it an opportunity to get information into the hands and heads of your supporters that could pay big dividends for your organization in the years to come.
To read more and to access sample emails and materials, check out the Planned Giving Toolkit on our Resources page.